For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and UK data protection laws, the controller is nesma (the “Study Centre”) of 19 Lansdowne Terrace, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1HP.
About this document
How we collect your information
We collect your personal data in a few limited ways, namely:
- Directly from you, when you fill in an application to study with us.
- When you make enquiries on our website, via email, or over the phone.
- When you interact with us at events.
- When you provide information to one of the awarding bodies (CIM/DMI/CIPR).
- From someone else who has applied to study on your behalf (for example a family member).
The types of information we collect
We may collect the following types of personal data about you: Contact and communications information, including your contact details (including email address(es), telephone numbers and postal address(es) and records of communications and interactions we have had with you); Financial information, including Direct Debit details; Certain other information which you volunteer when making use of our study centres. We may also collect data about your health or medical conditions, where you have volunteered this, for example, so that we can cater for you when you attend a course or social event.
How we use personal data
Your marketing preferences
We will always respect your wishes in respect of what type of communications you want to receive from us and how you want to receive them. There are some communications, however, that we need to send you regardless of your marketing preferences in order for us to fulfil our contractual obligations to you as a student of our Study Centre. Examples of these essential service communications are records of transactions, such as payment receipts or Direct Debit confirmations (as applicable) and information about venue closures and holiday opening hours.
You are in control of how we communicate with you. You can update your choices and/or your contact details by contacting us at:
Telephone: +44 (0)7734 222 254
Post: nesma, 19 Lansdowne Terrace, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1HP.
Sharing your information with others
We do not sell or share your personal data with other organisations to use other than as set out below.
Personal data collected and processed by us may be shared with the following third parties, where necessary: Our employees and tutors and the relevant awarding bodies, for the purposes of administering your studying experience and giving you access to the benefits to which you are entitled.
How long your information is kept
We keep your personal data for a minimum period of six years after your last interaction with us (for accounting, tax reporting and record-keeping purposes).
Under certain circumstances, by law, you have the right to request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”).
This enables you to:
- Receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you.
- This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
Object to the processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to:
- Object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data.
- This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- You can also withdraw your consent, where this is the basis for our processing your data (without affecting the lawfulness of our previous processing based on consent).
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
Contact and complaints
If you are not satisfied with how we are processing your personal data, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection laws from the Information Commissioner’s Office website: www.ico.org.uk.